Saturday, February 6, 2010

Yeah, who's this?

Normally I don't like to take work home on the weekends, but this week we VISTAs got an urgent email from the state office that they had 2500 voicemails from people waiting on a return call for tax/benefit services. With hundreds of calls coming in daily, they just couldn't return the calls fast enough. So they asked for our help in returning these calls--and I volunteered.

That's right--I am volunteering this weekend, not working. This call-back-a-thon is considered "direct service" because we are talking directly to clients, and direct service is a no-no in the eyes of the Corporation for National and Community Service. They say that our time should be spent doing administrative tasks to make organizations more sustainable, not helping clients directly. So all of these hours and hours I am logging in calls are really going un-logged. Instead of earning hours and comp time, we will receive a compensatory gift card when we finish our calls.

Knowing the state office needed our help, that there would be a big snow storm blowing through today, that there would be nothing else to do, and that I could use a gift card, I agreed to help. I started making calls around 11:30 and finished around 4:30 for the day, with the occasional break in between. I have made a little over 50 calls, so I have about 40 some calls to make tomorrow.

This call back process has been really...interesting. Most people I call have forgotten that they ever called the OBB and have even forgotten what the OBB does. So when I introduce myself as "Kaitlyn with the Ohio Association of Second Harvest Foodbanks, the home of the Ohio Benefit Bank" people do one of four things:
1) Hang up,
2) Tell me they aren't interested,
3) Ask me to repeat myself,
4) Allow me to continue talking so that I can help them.

If I can talk fast enough, I can keep people on the phone long enough to decipher the purpose of their original call and can point them in the direction of a free tax site or benefit site.

If I can't reach anybody, I often have to leave a voicemail to let people know that the OBB is returning their call. And many times, people ignore these messages, see my number on their caller ID, and call me back directly. When I answer, "This is Kaitlyn, how can I help you?" they immediately shout, "Yeah, I got a call from this number. Who's this?" I patiently explain who I am, where I'm from and why I called, and they're still suspicious. Some of the women I talk to think that I'm cheating with their husbands or boyfriends, and some people are still confused about what the OBB does or why I would be calling. They can't understand that I am actually returning THEIR call.

But then there are the calls where people are gracious and cooperative. They really appreciate the tax site referral, and take the time to ask questions about our services. This is the educational component of the Ohio Benefit Bank, which I really enjoy being a part of. Even though I'm tired of making phone calls, it's these calls that remind me that there are thousands of people out there in need of free tax services so that they can keep 100% of their refund. And that makes it all (or most of it) worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Don't you think that misrepresents why your calling these people? OBB works with the Food Bank? How did you get my number? I don't want to talk to a food bank, this is a tax issue. Do you have a license to know my tax information at the food bank, home of the Ohio benefit bank. I didn't go to the benefit bank, I thought that a full time employee would return my call.....

    What your doing is unprofessional and any call center employee can tell you that kind of game will put you out of business. CNCS isn't involved?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you feel this way, but I think you are confused about this process. The OASHF is the agency that runs the Ohio Benefit Bank. (Remember, the OBB is just a program, and OASHF is the agency that runs that program.) OASHF is the governing body for all VISTAs working with the program, with CNCS overseeing our involvement with AmeriCorps. Normally when I am "working," I am able to log my hours; the hours I get paid for. This weekend I am just volunteering since this is direct service, but because I know this program inside and out as it's what I do full time everyday, I am at least able to help return calls. I, along with many other VISTAs, were asked to do this so we can respond to Ohioans more efficiently. Everything has been approved by CNCS, don't worry.

    Also keep in mind that the Benefit Bank does taxes and benefits. Everyone's phone number came from our state office's voicemail system--people who called the state office looking for tax assistance. We don't know anyone's personal tax information from this list; we're just returning the calls and referring people to the nearest Benefit Bank site where they can do their taxes for free.

    This blog post was meant to show you what my side of this process has been--it has been frustrating at times, but mostly successful. And that's certainly not unprofessional.

    ReplyDelete