Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Philanthropy in Action

Yesterday I had the privilege of attending the Kiwanis Club of Fairfield's weekly meeting to request funding on behalf of the Butler County School Supply Coalition's Kits for Kids Campaign. I arrived a little before noon at Richard's Pizza in Fairfield and made my way to the private party room where all sorts of Kiwanis banners were set up for the meeting. The president of the club immediately welcomed me and accompanied me to the counter where she said, "Lunch is on us!" I placed my order and went back to the party room to relax before lunch and my presentation.

Shortly after that, I was joined by the second presenter, and we chatted about our projects. He was there requesting funding on behalf of The Joe Nuxhall Character Education Fund/Therapeutic Recreation for the Disabled. Their goal is to build two rubberized, solid-surface softball fields, including wheelchair accessible dugouts, restrooms and parking lots, as well as spectator bleachers, fencing, lighting, a scoreboard, and concession stands. The project totals $1.9 million dollars, and they've already raised one million towards their goal, but need more community support.

We ate our lunches, heard some official Kiwanis business, and then it was time for our presentations. I had a lot of data and numbers to share specific to Fairfield City Schools. Angie from Princeton Pike Church of God had loaned me two of her sample school supply kits to show the group, as well. I hadn't even finished speaking when the treasurer opened the club's check book and wrote a check for $100. And he didn't stop there--he then opened his personal check book and made a $55 contribution to the campaign.

Thank you to the Kiwanis Club of Fairfield for not only allowing me to speak to your group, but for so warmly treating me to lunch, as well! I appreciate the hospitality and generosity of your group.

Speaking of generosity, I also need to give a shout out to my dear friend Ava Ansorg's Girl Scout Troop! I have known Ava for about 5 years, and in that time I have watched her grow into a caring, service-minded young lady. Ava's troop raised more money than they needed last year with cookie sales and other fund-raisers, so they were looking for a way to give back to the community. I suggested the Butler County School Supply Coalition to them, and they liked the idea so much that the girls voted to give $500 to the campaign! They could have easily kept the money for a few extra pizza parties or field trips, but they decided to give it away instead. I am so proud and grateful for this philanthropic group of young leaders in our community. THANK YOU!

Lastly, thanks to the Xi Lambda Pi Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi Sorority at Miami University Middletown. With so much press surrounding Miami University sororities' and fraternities' bad behavior lately, it's refreshing to see a sorority doing something positive for their community. We are pleased to accept your $100 contribution for the students in Middletown City Schools. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment