Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Miami Hami

I write this post from my third computer lab on Miami University's Hamilton campus.

Today I taught 7 new counselors how to use the Benefits module on the Ohio Benefit Bank. I arrived on Miami Hamilton's campus well ahead my class's start time, and was surprised to find our contact person waiting for me in our computer lab in Mosler Hall. He looked nervous, but pleasant enough, as I shook his hand and introduced myself. Turns out he had a good reason to be nervous--he had double-booked our computer lab. Normally I would have started hyperventilating at such news, but he had such a nice, pleasant demeanor that I was able to stay relatively calm as he explained the issue.

Fortunately, he had already solved the issue before I had arrived. He had arranged for us to use a computer lab in another building, Phelps Hall, until 2:00 when a class would be using the lab. At that point, we would need to move to a third computer lab in the library to finish the training. Because this third lab wouldn't be open until 2:00, we had no choice but to play musical computer labs.

I posted a sign to inform the participants of the change, and I was pleased to find everyone had made it to the correct computer lab by 9:05 this morning. To avoid further confusion and time-wasting, I decided to postpone lunch to 1:00 so that the class could reconvene in the third and final computer lab an hour later at 2:00. Once again, everyone found the final computer lab and we were able to finish the training without a hitch.

I don't mean to toot my own horn here, but I'm pretty proud of how I handled this change in plans. I didn't freak out, I didn't cry, and I didn't even need to call Meredith! The situation was resolved and I went on with my training. It's amazing to me just how much I am gaining as an AmeriCorps*VISTA member. Not only am I learning a lot about poverty, hunger, and social work in general, but I am also gaining valuable skills in communication and assertiveness. I'm learning the importance staying flexible and easy-going in the face of a "crisis;" valuable skills I know I will continue to use in the social services field.

No comments:

Post a Comment