Monday, December 28, 2009

Vandal Scandal

It wasn't a happy holiday here at Shared Harvest.

This morning I pulled up to the foodbank to find a Fairfield Police car parked in the driveway. I walked into the foodbank expecting a big commotion, but upon finding none, I walked back to my office and got to work. Around 8:30 I was ready to go out on our food drive pick ups, so I recruited Joe, our HarvestCorps member, to help me out today. As I was picking up the keys to Gus, Tucker asked me,

"Are you going somewhere today?"

"Um, yes. Food drives."

"In the van?"

(Knowing he meant Gus the Bus), I replied, "Yes."

"Oh, well, didn't they break the windows out of it?"

"What?!"

"Yeah, they hit the van, the straight truck, the tractor trailer...broke the windows out of all of them and everything's down this morning."

So thanks to the vandals who smashed in all of our windows, we are all behind here this morning. I'm not sure who would do something like this--maybe someone who was looking for food and believed the only way to get it was to break into our trucks (which are empty, by the way). Or maybe it was someone who is recently out of resources and is taking their anger and frustration out on us. Or maybe it was someone who just plain favors hunger in America.

Whoever it was, there are better ways to solve your problems, and I can't empathize with someone who would think this kind of action is the solution.

1 comment:

  1. OMG YOUR KIDDING ME THEY HIT THE VAN AND STRAIGHT TRUCK! THAT IS CRAZY!I BET TINA IS FIT TO BE TIED! TALK ABOUT SCROOGIES! WHO DOES STUFF LIKE THAT TO A FOOD BANK? PEOPLE WHO GIVE TO PEOPLE ALL THE TIME AND DON'T DO IT FOR THEMSELVES SHARED HARVEST IS A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION! WHAT A SHAME I'M TOTALLY IN SHOCK.
    MARTHA

    ReplyDelete