Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Seat belts, everyone!"

It's been nearly a week since my last post! Time to remedy this.

Last Tuesday was markedly better than Monday. With the windows in our trucks replaced, I was ready to do some serious food-driving. Somehow I managed to do 3 of the food drive pick ups from barrels in area Kroger stores on Monday in my little Oldsmobile, but we were still behind.

With Alex and Holli out of the office, and the warehouse busy with end of the month inventory, I wasn't too sure who would accompany me on my food drive pick ups that day. To my pleasant surprise, though, Taylor didn't have class on Tuesday, and he offered to volunteer with the food drive that day! So we loaded up Gus with two empty pallets, a cart, and a bunch of boxes and hit the road.

Together we were able to accomplish quite a bit! I handled all of the driving (while Taylor whistled the theme song from "The Magic School Bus"), and Taylor did all the heavy lifting. He could lift a full barrel into the truck all by himself! We ended up bringing more than 650 pounds of food back to Shared Harvest from an assortment of places, including: the Beach Water Park, Greater Harvest Church, CSL Plasma, YMCA of Middletown, Verso Paper Co., just to name a few.

I had a great time working with Taylor. It was fun for him to see a little of what I do everyday, and it's always great to share community service projects with others. I've never been one for new year's resolutions, but maybe as we enter this new decade, one of mine might be to spend more time with Taylor giving back to the community. With our schedules, we don't get to see each other too much, so the time we do have together should be spent meaningfully, not in front of the TV! Perhaps we can figure out a way to volunteer together on our off days.

Meet Taylor! Unfortunately, my camera wasn't working on Tuesday, but this picture captures the spirit of the day--brrr!

Meanwhile, I'll have a busy week wrapping up holiday food drives and the Check Out Hunger campaign, as well as starting a new project surrounding school supplies for kids in Butler County. Oh and did I mention, it's now officially tax season? Let the chaos begin!

In this my 100th post, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year! Good things are coming in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment