Thursday, March 17, 2011

At the end of the second quarter...

Sounds like a line from an announcer at a football game, but NO--this is about me, me, me!

Just minutes ago, I emailed my last final exam to my professor, marking the end of my second quarter of graduate school. It's a tremendous weight lifted off of my shoulders, and I must say, a big accomplishment. At this point, I have completed one third of my graduate school education! Can you believe it?

Just like last quarter, here's a list of things I learned and did at school:
  • Attended a personal safety seminar; learned how to assess risks and implement techniques to deescalate dangerous situations
  • Wrote two reflections on my experiences with personal safety in the workplace
  • Created a comprehensive genogram outlining relationships, patterns, and history in my family for four generations
  • Researched and wrote an extensive paper on my family of origin, including more than ten sources of information
  • Analyzed the impact of race, class, and gender in colonial and modern families
  • Wrote an in-depth organizational review of my field placement site, Santa Maria Community Services
  • Engaged in exercises surrounding ethical dilemmas in social work
  • Applied the National Association of Social Workers code of ethics to two case studies
  • Created an eco-map showing all of the systems of a case study family
  • Completed a process recording following an in-class role play scenario in which I had to write verbatim what the client and social worker said in a session, including non-verbals, from memory.
  • Created a treatment plan for a case study client
  • Completed a comprehensive assessment, including mental status exam, for a sample client on video
  • Attended an all -day grant-writing workshop; learned how to write clear, realistic goals, objectives, outcomes, and indicators for funders
It's hard to believe I did all of that in ten weeks. No wonder I'm exhausted! Oh and that's just the stuff I did in the classroom--I haven't even touched my activities in my internship! We'll save that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment