Monday, March 7, 2011

Police Say Homeless Man Not Beaten To Death

Police Say Homeless Man Not Beaten To Death

I heard about this sad story this morning. Billy Joe Begley was a chronically homeless man from Price Hill who was found unconscious last Wednesday behind Santa Maria's East Price Hill location, next to the Price Hill library. He later died over the weekend, and there are now conflicting reports about his cause of death. Originally, his death was thought to be a homicide due to the severity of the injuries he sustained to his face and chest, in addition to a missing wallet and money. But now police are saying he died from a fall caused by some kind of medical condition.

I don't have any answers. What I do know is what staff members at Santa Maria have told me--that Billy was a frequent, harmless visitor at Santa Maria and his death leaves a sad space for all who knew him. We are all left wondering what, if anything, else we could have done to help him; what else we could have done to prevent this tragedy.

I would like to think the police from District 3 are using the extent of their resources to fully investigate Billy's death. I have to wonder, though, if the fact that Billy was homeless has any bearing on the priority of this case. Regardless of his living conditions, Billy is a human being who deserves to be treated with respect, even in death.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you! District 3 is known (within the district) for being biased, lazy, and maybe embittered or jaded to the point that they care very little about the people in the district, especially those that have no way of defending themselves (like a deceased homeless man.) I know this neighborhood well, I live three blocks from where Billy was found and I knew Billy's face well. He was a kind man and caused no trouble except for occasionally being drunk in public. He was never scary or rude or falling on people or anything like that. He was courteous and pleasant and i was very saddened by this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My opinion is that indeed he was beaten and killed, because of the facts thus far, and due to the state of this neighborhood. it is a war zone here. Death and violence are a part of all of our lives, simply just because we live here in price Hill. The police here are so wrong and lazy that is shameful and should be investigated for sure!!

    I witnessed police officers watching an assault take place and joking about how the person should not live in price hill if they don't want to get assaulted and they did not stop the incident nor did they pursue the attackers. They then stated to the victim, "Don't you know where you live? I have been an officer long enough to know you don't get involved in a fight, that is how us officers get hurt."
    I was shocked and it has continued to shock me witnessing the wrongdoings of the police here.
    I believe strongly he was beaten and murdered. Any word on if he was or not?

    ReplyDelete