Thursday, November 5, 2009

Happy Holidays

When I started my term as a VISTA, I went to a week-long Pre-Service Orientation in Indianapolis (I think I have mentioned this, yes?). One day, the PSO organizers invited VISTAs currently in their year of service to come to the conference center and talk with us new baby VISTAs over lunch. Our table's "veteran VISTA" was Maddy, who was currently serving her term in Indianapolis. We were encouraged to ask her questions and get the inside scoop on this whole VISTA lifestyle from someone who had obviously been living it for the past year.

The conversation started out pleasantly enough:

US: "So do you like being a VISTA?"
HER: "Yes, it really has been such a positive experience."
US: "Where are you serving?"
HER: "Here in Indianapolis at the American Red Cross."
*Smiles and nods of approval*
US: "It sure has been rainy this week."
HER: "Yeah, it has."

We continued to chat in this manner over our gourmet catered food throughout the lunch hour, but when dessert rolled out, the tone of the conversation changed. Maddy leaned in, folded her hands, and said something along the lines of the following:

"You all are starting in June like I did. I just want you to know that around the holidays you will hit a bit of a slump. You will have been in service for about 6 months, and you're going to start questioning your decision to live in poverty for the year, especially now that you're at the holiday season and you can't afford gifts for your friends and family. I just want you to know that it is really hard to go through that phase of service. Any depression or sadness you feel is pretty normal--all of my VISTA friends here in Indy reported similar experiences, but we made it through. Just thought you should know to expect that."

Um, thanks?

I left PSO wondering if I would experience a holiday season slump like Maddy and her friends had. At the time that I started my year, money was very tight but I loved my work and thought nothing could bring me down. But now I'm not so sure.

Don't get me wrong--I am very glad to be here; I still love what I do. But the volunteer wage is starting to get to me, especially when thinking about the holidays.

"If only I made just a little more money," I think to myself. And then I start to feel sorry for myself and picture myself as some kind of unfortunate, Tiny Tim-esque character, sacrificing everything in service to my country and Butler County. Dramatic, eh?

Taylor and I would like to give our family nice (read: somewhat expensive) gifts in thanks and appreciation for everything they have done for us over the past year. But the truth is we just can't--not on our household income, not with our regular expenses and a wedding coming up.

So what are we supposed to do? Sulk because I made a decision to serve as an AmeriCorps*VISTA, thus putting our household in poverty? Come empty-handed to holiday gatherings, let everyone feel sorry for us, and feel even sorrier for ourselves? Have a panic attack over the thought of giving gifts? Max out our credit cards and pretend like we have money to spend on brand new fancy gadgets for everyone we know?

Of course not. We're going to get creative and give gifts that are homemade and meaningful and still just as nice as a brand new fancy gadget.

So if you're like me and don't have much expendable income for the holidays, take a different approach to gift-giving this year. Give something homemade, give an experience, and share in the holiday season with people you love and who care about you. Need help getting started? Take a deep breath, keep your chin up, and click here for over 30 fun and easy (and cheap) gift ideas you can make this year. The article comes from a blog I read called Get Rich Slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment