Sunday, August 15, 2010

The value of volunteering

I was reading "Get Rich Slowly," one of my favorite personal finance blogs, and the guest post today really caught my eye. It's titled: "Reader Story: I Quit My Job and Joined the Peace Corps." In the article, the author discusses the sacrifices he made to spend two years abroad in service, which were significantly outweighed by the benefits he gained during that time.

While I didn't necessarily quit my job to join the AmeriCorps national service program, I did make sacrifices in income and time to serve others (just ask my husband). Still, I wouldn't trade that year for anything, and I am grateful to have had such a powerful, life-changing experience at such a relatively young age. My perspective on the world is forever changed--I learned the difference between want and need, and the importance of empathy.

I strongly believe that every American should devote some of their life to service. Whether that service is overseas in the Peace Corps, here at home in AmeriCorps or Teach for America, or in your local neighborhood once or twice a month, the more you invest of yourself in service, the greater return you'll receive. Not only will you be making the world a better place, but you will shape yourself into the type of person you want to be.

There are hundreds of opportunities right where you live to make a difference. Find something you enjoy, something you are passionate about, and get out there and do it! You will be happy you did.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your post! and I concur with everything you said! This reminds of the many people who sit in front of their television for hours on end and say that they are bored and that there is nothing else to do. Yet, community service is something that never crosses their mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Kaitlyn and Krupa! Way to get out those school supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason this comment showed up on a different post that I wanted. Oh well. You get the idea.

    ReplyDelete