Monday, October 4, 2010

Introducing: October

Somewhere between now and last week, we stumbled across October. I rang in the new month with Taylor and my parents in my hometown of Urbana, Ohio. We spent the weekend doing yard work (okay, Taylor helped my dad trim the huge 40-ft tree in the front yard while I went shopping), dining local, and catching up. We also went to the community craft fair known as Octoberfest (not to be confused with area beer festivals known as Oktoberfest). And in the middle of all of that, I fell drastically behind in my graduate studies.* Such is life.

(*Note: Instead of knocking out a few chapters of reading tonight, I thought I'd write this blog post instead. Besides, after 6 straight hours of class, preceded by 3 hours of training on recognizing and preventing child sexual abuse, I'm spent for the evening. So I guess I'm not that far behind. Or maybe I am in denial.)

Anyway, October seems to be off to a great start, with plenty of fun stuff to come: leaf-raking, cider-drinking, pumpkin-carving, and of course, awareness-raising for domestic violence!

Yes, October is Domestic Violence Awareness month. To help you out, I've compiled a few events for you to attend in the Cincinnati area hosted by the YWCA:

In Hamilton County:
Bark Out Against Violence Pet Fest, Saturday, Oct. 9th, 11a-2p
She Screams Without Sound candlelight vigil, Tuesday, Oct. 26th, 6:45p-8p
A Tribute to Esme: Journey of Grief and Healing art exhibition, Oct.1st--Jan. 14th, 2011

In Clermont County:
Proclamation of Domestic Violence Awareness month, Wednesday, Oct. 13th, 1p
Clothesline Project, Oct. 18-22
Hearts and Hands/Men Against Menacing, Tuesday, Oct. 19th
Domestic Violence Vigil: Mending the Wounds, Thursday, Oct. 21st, 5:30-7:30p

Of course, there is plenty more in-depth information about all of these events (plus additional events in Brown and Adams Counties) here. (You can also visit ywca.org to search for events in your area.) Unfortunately I will not be able to attend most of these events due to my evening class schedule, but I would encourage you to check them out if you can. These are bound to be very powerful, empowering experiences not to be missed.

We must come together as a community to talk about and solve this serious issue. When we pretend domestic violence isn't happening, we enable it to continue to affect thousands of women and children each year. We must send a message to abusers that we as a society will not stand for domestic violence. And we must offer our continued support and resources for victims who suffer in silence.

If by chance you or someone you know is struggling with domestic violence, remember you aren't alone. What's happening to you isn't your fault, and you don't deserve to be hurt. Please feel free to call our 24-hour helplines to talk about the abuse, to create a safety plan, and to secure additional resources.

Cincinnati helpline:
LOCAL (513) 872-9259
TOLL FREE (888) 872-9259

TTY Accessible
Eastern area helpline:
LOCAL (513) 753-7281
TOLL FREE (800) 540-4764
National helpline:
1.800.799.SAFE (7233)
1.800.787.3224 (TTY)

Anonymous & Confidential Help 24/7

No comments:

Post a Comment