Friday, October 16, 2009

It's official

So it's been a few days, and some of you might be wondering about my teaser from earlier in the week. Did anyone figure out the relationship between the Shared Harvest Foodbank and the NY Times?

Yes? No? Okay here it is:

Jason DeParle, a reporter from the New York Times, is coming to Ohio next week to do a 3-part series on food stamps. Because Tina started the first food stamp outreach program in the nation, Lisa Hamler-Fugitt from OASHF recommended that Jason focus on Southwest Ohio, specifically Shared Harvest Foodbank, for his story. If I understand correctly, as part of his visit, Jason will be looking at how Shared Harvest's SNAP (food stamp) outreach program and the Ohio Benefit Bank have increased people's access to food stamps in a traditionally conservative part of the state.

And if that isn't exciting enough, get this:

While he is here, Jason may also explore the national service component of all of this, which brings him to...me. Lisa, Dustin, and Tina all pointed Jason towards my blog, and about a week ago, I spoke with him for the first time on the phone. Now we are planning to meet on Sunday evening after his plane lands to talk even more about the AmeriCorps*VISTA's role with the OBB.

Yeah, I know. It still seems a little surreal to me too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment