Saturday, June 19, 2010

End of an era

Today marks my official last day as an AmeriCorps*VISTA member. Of course, my last day at Shared Harvest was yesterday, but in VISTA world, today is my real last day in service. I will be spending it at home with mine and my husband's parents for a pre-Father's Day cookout.

I will also spend this day transitioning my blog from a VISTA blog to a more personal blog. Over the course of the past year, I have shared some personal information about my life, but I have been limited by the Ohio Associated of Second Harvest Foodbanks in just how much non-VISTA commentary I can share. Also dictating the contents of this blog were the Hatch Act, which essentially restricted us from commentary of a political or religious nature while representing the AmeriCorps*VISTA program. There have been quite a few times this year that I would have loved to dive into some more controversial topics, but my desire for continued employment overrode those blog posts.

But now my VISTA ties are broken and this blog is about to take a more personal turn. I'd like to now use this blog as space to explore what it means to be a social justice-minded 20-something in America today, particularly in relation to politics, employment, and education.

So if you were reading this blog exclusively because of my VISTA-ship, consider this fair warning of this blog's impending overhaul. I hope you'll stay with me as I emerge into a new phase of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment