Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day


Just wanted to say Happy Father's Day to my dad, Duane Baker.

My dad is a pretty humble guy, and I don't want to embarrass him or anything, but I figure my blog post today is a good way to show him just how much I appreciate him. (That and the awesome cookout Taylor and I hosted last night. Yum!)

When I was growing up, my dad worked a lot in the labor-intensive manufacturing industry, and I didn't always understand why he wasn't home as much as we both would have liked. Only now am I starting to get even a small glimpse of just what all of those hours of work really meant for our family. My dad worked hard so that I wouldn't have to struggle as much to get the things I wanted in my life. Not only did my dad make sure my basic needs were met, but he also ensured that many doors were opened for me. My dad never had the chance to attend college, so it was a top priority to him that I further my education. This was so important to him, in fact, that he saved enough money for me to graduate debt-free with funds left over for graduate school.

Although he doesn't have a piece of paper from a four-year school, my dad is one of the smartest people I know. I find myself going to him for advice, even when I don't think I need it. He has taught me so much over the course of my life, such as how to manage money, how to golf, how to ride a bike, to name a few. Perhaps the most important thing he taught me, though, is not to get too complacent; to always try harder and to never give up.

So Daddy, thank you for always pushing me to be a better student, a better professional, a better citizen, a better person. Growing up I didn't always show you how much I appreciated you, but I hope this little blog post helps to say:



I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment