Monday, June 21, 2010

Livin' on a prayer, a.k.a $18,000

Yesterday I came across a fascinating article linked on Get Rich Slowly, a personal finance blog that I read daily. The article, titled "Living on $18,000 a year--by choice," describes the choices of three different people, ages 25, 44, and 60, that have led them to a very thrifty existence. But this isn't one of those "what not to do" articles--it's about people who have chosen to live on less so that they can better pursue happiness.

Of course this article caught my eye after earning somewhere around $10,000 last year in the AmeriCorps*VISTA program. I, too, chose to live in poverty in pursuit of higher dreams. Now I hope to secure more permanent employment, most likely in an entry-level social services position while I attend graduate school in the fall. Many times I am asked to specify my salary requirements on my application, and when "negotiable" isn't an option, I feel silly writing down anything higher than $10,000. Taylor and I have gotten used to living on so little that anything more than $10k seems extravagant (not to say I don't want to earn a higher salary!) I guess it's all in your perspective.

It feels good to see the author of this article talk about an annual salary of $18,000 as something to marvel. The fact that Taylor and I met our basic needs, built our savings, and bought a house on less than $25,000 combined last year makes me optimistic. Imagine what we can do with $26,000?

Oh, the possibilities!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kaitlyn-- congrats on finishing your year! I'm excited to continue to follow your more personal, socially conscious blog.

    Thought I'd send you this link, I found it in one of my Save The Dream Ohio newsletters:
    http://www.homeownershipdayton.org/classes.html

    Thought maybe you and Taylor might find the home maintenance class interesting, or maybe know someone down there to pass this along to.

    Enjoy your week!

    Joree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joree, thanks! And after just a few weeks of home ownership, we could use all the maintenance classes out there we can get!

    ReplyDelete