Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hi-ho, hi-ho

The first goal listed on my VISTA assignment description is to recruit and train people from local organizations on how to use the Benefit Bank software so they, in turn, can effectively counsel community members through the application process for government benefits. The steps in becoming a trainer are as follows:

1. Go through a training as a counselor
2. Observe a training
3. Attend Community Trainer orientation in Columbus (July 22-24)
4. Perform two training sessions under the supervision of your regional coordinator
5. Review my performance to improve, make a plan for future sessions, and I’m on my own!

I became a counselor in my first week at Shared Harvest, so the next step was to observe a community training. On Monday, July 13th, I had a chance to watch my regional coordinator (and boss) Meredith train counselors from the Warren County Community Services on how to use the OBB with their clients.

The day was intended for me to take notes about the logistics necessary to conduct my own future trainings, which I did with no problem. But my observations ended up leading to an additional little gem that I have tucked away for future use.

There is a section in the training when the trainer discusses the many different benefits the OBB helps people apply for. It is obviously important for counselors to have some general knowledge of the benefits featured in the software. But that day I also discovered how important it is for the trainer to talk through additional, less obvious issues pertaining to poverty, including policies and prejudices that impact families and individuals at their core.

I listened as Meredith explained how the federal poverty guideline is calculated via an archaic formula set in the 1960s that assumes people still spend a third of their income on food. She explained how food stamp benefits are determined from another 1960s notion that says people could survive on a thrifty allotment of $1 per meal, per person, per day, or, in other words, $3/day for food. Although benefit amounts have been adjusted as the cost of living rises, it often isn’t enough to fully meet people’s needs. On average, families tend to run out of their monthly food stamp allotment about two and a half weeks into the month.

As she talked, I watched the reactions of the three women receiving training. Before long, they were interrupting Meredith with their own protests:

“But how could a family really live on that kind of money?”
“You can’t buy fresh fruits and vegetables and protein for $3 per day; it just can’t be done.”
“Yeah, so why would they use such an outdated formula? Why has no one ever changed it?”

Nodding in agreement, Meredith told the women about the Food Stamp Challenge, in which state and local officials are challenged to live on $3/day for a week to experience what millions of Americans go through every day, in hopes that it will inspire them to change such outdated policies.

For instance, this year Joel Potts, the Executive Director of the Ohio Job and Family Services Directors’ Association challenged Governor Strickland to join him in the Food Stamp Challenge as state health and human services faced drastic budget cuts. To be honest, I’m not sure if the governor accepted the challenge or not. But even if he had, I doubt it would have changed how food stamp benefits are calculated. Many politicians fear disrupting such a system, because it could lead to the death of their political careers.

After talking through these issues for several minutes, the women seemed disappointed in the bureaucracy of the system, but not defeated. They realized they had an opportunity to make a difference by helping people at least gain access to much-needed benefits. One woman even commented, “I’m going to have to write my representatives about this,” as she jotted a note to herself on the corner of her paper.

The training went on as normal, and the women were certified as Benefit Bank counselors a few hours later. And even though I was only observing that day, I was proud to have been a part of the process. This small group of motivated women will enter their community as anti-poverty advocates, whether they overtly realize it or not. Having a greater understanding of the intricacies of poverty, I am confident they will approach their clients with compassion, dignity, and respect.

I realized from this experience that it is not enough to just tell people how to use a program like the Benefit Bank. My duties as a trainer go beyond that. For this program to thrive, you have to show people why they are important, why it matters that they are Benefit Bank counselors as patient, empathetic, compassionate human beings. Slowly but surely, that human-level understanding of poverty will trickle through the community. And that’s how attitudes and policies towards people in poverty can change. I think. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment