Saturday, July 18, 2009

Living as a VISTA, part 1

In my first post, I mentioned the meager living allowance VISTAs receive for their service to America. And it is meager. Not being a shy person, I'm going to spend a few posts on my income and expenses to show you how this VISTA lives, or in some cases, barely scrapes by.


Let's start with the monthly living allowance I mentioned earlier. In urban placements, VISTAs can receive up to $865/month in urban settings. With a population of 42,097 as of the 2000 census, my position in Fairfield, Ohio, is considered rural, qualifying me for $833/month, paid in biweekly installments.


Okay, now despite what you're thinking, that's really not all that bad. I worked part-time through college, earning an average of $7/hour, so I was lucky to take home $500/month, if that. To a college kid facing the reality of unemployment, I'll serve my country for $833/month.


In addition to my living allowance, I also receive free health benefits. I have a $5 co-pay for every doctor visit and a $25 co-pay for every emergency room visit. Of course, this health benefit only covers emergencies and does not extend to preventative care, nor does it cover any pre-existing conditions. For this reason, my health coverage is categorized as a "benefit" not "insurance."


My health benefit does not include vision or dental coverage. And frankly, I have a problem with that.


(It's time for a tangent.)


My parents called me not too long ago to notify me that our family's dental insurance provider would be dropping me from their policy by August unless I could verify that I still qualified; i.e. that I am still a student. Because I am no longer a student, my family encouraged me to get my routine dental exam and cleaning before I would have to cover those costs out of pocket. I called my nearest dentist's office to set up the appointment. The dentist served in the National Guard and has been called up between July 20th and July 31st, so I set up the appointment for Thursday, July 16. I had to leave Shared Harvest a little earlier than usual, but I made it to the appointment. During the exam, the dentist found two cavities. He said if they were left untreated they would undoubtedly lead to nerve damage and require costly root canals. Knowing my dental coverage would soon be ending, I asked the dentist when we could fill the cavaties, and he suggested a date at the beginning of August. I pictured the bill for my fillings without insurance--could we fill them today? I asked. He squeezed me in after the last appointment of the day, and 3 hours and 3 magazines later I left with clean, hole-free teeth.


Even with insurance picking up the bill, I had to pay a $50 co-pay at the end of the appointment. Now let's stop for a second and rewind. Most people in poverty have no health insurance, but if they have a low enough income they can usually qualify for Medicaid coverage. But what about dental insurance? Out of pocket, my dental visit would have cost $200 for the regular exam and cleaning, plus another $200 or so for the cavities. What family has $400 lying around for each member of their family to visit the dentist every 6 months? You can see why many people forgo the dentist's office altogether, and it has nothing to do with being afraid of the man (or woman) behind the mask. They're afraid of the bills. And without proper preventative care or treatment, their teeth and gums are more likely to rot and decay, but not before a heaping dose of pain and discomfort.


Needless to say, I don't look forward to my visit 6 months from now when I'm the one picking up the bill, but facing the alternative of rotten teeth, I'll come up with the money somehow.


Alright, enough tangential talk, let's get back on track here. Included in my health benefit is free prescription coverage, including prescriptions for pre-existing conditions. Pretty cool--that's an instant money saver and makes me much more likely to go to the doctor when I'm sick, knowing that whatever she prescribes for me will be paid for in full.


Being a VISTA also gives me access to life insurance for something like $2.64 a month or some other small amount. In the case of my untimely death, Taylor (remember him? he's my fiance) would receive $19,600, I believe. In case you were wondering how much a VISTA is worth in dollars, there it is.


Once I complete my year of service, I'm entitled to an end of service cash stipend of $1200 or an education award of $4,725. I chose to receive the latter, which I will apply towards graduate school. Some VISTAs use their education awards to pay off loan balances, as well. VISTAs are also eligible for loan forbearance and I think the interest accrued on their loans during their year of service is paid by Americorps, as well. I'm not entirely sure about that--other VISTAs out there, please set me straight.


At my site, I received a laptop, broadband card, and a cell phone to use for the year, in addition to office space at Shared Harvest (see previous post). As part of my assignment, I'll be spending a lot of time on the road, so I am reimbursed $.55 for every mile I drive on VISTA time. That is supplemented by a $75 gas card I receive every month, as well. Not too shabby, especially considering not all VISTAs get those kinds of perks from their sites.


Lastly, as a VISTA I am able to continue receiving any public benefits that I was receiving before beginning my year of service without penalty. In other words, my income does not count towards our total household income when calculating our food stamp budget. (And yes, we receive food stamps, which I will share more about in part 3 of this series.)


To the current VISTAs out there, if I have forgotten anything, please let me know! As you can see, the list of benefits VISTAs receive is pretty extensive.


But stay tuned for a list of my expenses. Will my income as a VISTA really cover my cost of living? Find out in part 2 of my Living as a VISTA series, coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment