Friday, July 24, 2009

A small, committed group of citizens

When I was in high school, I took a personality test in my psychology and art history classes. It told me that I was an introvert. So I was an introvert.

But as I have gotten older (my how 4 years can make a difference), I have found that I have extroverted tendencies in that I am often energized by the presence of people. I have found this to be particularly true when in the presence of VISTAs.

In the past month I have attended two major "trainings" through AmeriCorps*VISTA. The first was my pre-service orientation in Indianapolis where I met new friends from all around the country. I was, and still am, inspired by the talents and passion they bring to their respective projects to eradicate poverty.

Of course, the second was my community trainer orientation this week in Columbus, where I met 16 other OBB community trainers. I already knew two of the trainers (insert a shoutout to Alex and Sam: Holla!) from my PSO in Indianapolis, but the others I was meeting for the first time. And oddly enough, after 3 days I feel a strong connection with all of them--and not because we all have similar assignment descriptions, but because we share a commitment to service and change and equality. In our present society, that can be a rare find.

Any time I meet with other VISTAs there is a sense of belonging and acceptance that I haven't experienced in many other places. With VISTAs you don't have to explain why you have chosen to spend a year in poverty--they already know why. They 'get it.' Instead, we spend our time asking questions, exploring, learning, sharing, laughing. And thank god for the laughter.

Perhaps without even meaning to, they encourage me to grow and "know thyself." They remind me of the idealism that attracted me to this program in the first place. They affirm something I am continually learning--that the true fullness of life doesn't come in money or things accumulated, but comes from my experiences, my contribution, my people.

I am already lucky to have a strong support system of family and friends as I dive into this adventure, and they should not go unacknowledged. But there's something about the knowledge of other VISTAs out there going through the same thing I am--the same daily struggles and successes--that brings me an unshakable feeling of comfort and strength. After spending time with them, I feel recharged and ready to tackle big projects with innovative, creative ideas.

I have a renewed sense of hope that Margaret Mead was right--that yes, "a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

2 comments:

  1. Kaitlyn! You rock! I'm so pumped to connect with other blog lovin' folks and VISTA blogging is even better! Sad you already went to PSO so we don't get to hang out more this week! But I'm sure we'll all be in Columbus again soon for more training & meetings!! Have a great week & keep up the amazing work you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy PSO, Shelby! You will have a great time, and I'm also a little sad I won't be there with everyone else. And there's no doubt in my mind we'll be back in Columbus in no time to learn more new stuff!

    ReplyDelete