Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 2: Specialized study

Okay, so I have been in graduate school now for 3 school days. And so far I really like it! After 18 years in rural Western Ohio and 5 years in rural Southwest Ohio, it's quite an adjustment being on an urban college campus,* but I'm learning and enjoying the journey.**

*Note: one way streets go only in one direction, making travel a challenging adventure.

**Note: I am making friends!

On my second day of graduate school, I was told that in one week I would have to choose my specialized area of study. This decision will impact the courses I'll take in my second year of the program and where my 16-hr/week field study placement will be, which begins in January 2011 and lasts through graduation in June of 2012. Needless to say, this decision isn't a small one, and I am surprised to be making it so soon.

My choices are:
Administration
Mental Health (Direct Practice)
Child and Family (Direct Practice)
Health and Gerontology (Direct Practice)

After hearing from professors and alumni in each field area, I have decided to go into administration. With this track, I will learn more about how agencies and non-profit organizations work. I will be equipped to move up in the ranks of social service organizations and influence change within the organization and in the community. One professor described an alumna from the administration track who used her specialty to advise legislators about social policies at the state level. And because no one jumps to being the vice president of an organization right out of grad school, my foundation courses in my first year will prepare me to work in any setting, including direct practice.

If after a few years in administration I change my mind or decide I want to try out something new, again, my MSW degree will enable me to work in any setting. That's what I love about this program--it allows and encourages range and flexibility throughout my career. Specializing in administration doesn't mean I'll sit behind a desk writing grants for the next 40 years. It just means that I will have specialized knowledge in one area on top of the knowledge I'll have in the other three (mental health, child and family, and health and gerontology).

One week from today I will turn in my proposal for the administrative track, and after considering my past experience and future goals, the School of Social Work will give me two agencies where I will interview for my field placement. Hopefully I will find a match the first time around, but if for some reason I don't like an agency or they don't like me, UC will set up additional interview opportunities for me.

It's going to be a whirlwind of a process, but I am really excited for my placement and the opportunity to gain more experience in the field! I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad things are going so well! You are rocking it!

    P.S. Thank you for using "alumna" and "alumni" correctly. This is why we are friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your Amazing! I never got to finish my college degree and now I am thinking of going back but the biggest and hardest thing for me is figuring out what it is I want to be when I grow up. You would think at 40 I would know that by now but I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! And Martha, if you want to go back, you should! It's good to have a lot of things that interest you, makes life fun!

    ReplyDelete