Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Como se dice...Ohio Benefit Bank?

It is a little after 8:30 P.M. on Tuesday night and I'm still wearing my AmeriCorps*VISTA pin--that's right, I just finished an OBB event!

Last week Meredith sent me an email about a health fair for ESL families in the Fairfield School District. The event was to encourage good health practices and to show families how to access health resources. It was scheduled to last from 5:30 to 8 P.M., and even included a cook-out at the beginning of the event. But as I quickly learned, things don't always go according to plan.

The event took place at Central Elementary school in Fairfield, which is less than a mile from my apartment. Thus, I arrived promptly at 5:30 P.M. with my laptop, quick check cards, brochures, a freshly-made display board, and a bowl of candy in tow. I found another person struggling with their own display board as I entered the building, and we navigated the halls of the school together. We made our way to the gymnasium where people from a variety of organizations were setting up tables full of information. But I was not to set up here; instead, I was redirected to the school's art room which had been allocated for my OBB "break out session." I set up my materials, then made my way back to the gym to figure out what was going on.

Here was the run-down of events:
6:00-6:30 P.M. Cook out dinner
6:30-7:10 P.M. A panel presentation by a local doctor, mental health therapist, and dental assistant
7:10-7:15 P.M. A motivational speech by Lourdes Leon, Ohio Hispanic Business Woman of the Year
7:15-8:15 P.M. Attendees visit booths/break out sessions on various topics (including the OBB)

Well that was the plan.

But the panel did not begin until about 6:45 P.M. and each person had so much information to squeeze in to their individual segments that the presentation didn't finish until 7:45 P.M. Despite its late start, I enjoyed this part of the evening. For once I was in the minority, and any translation services provided were from Spanish to English. It was great to see local medical providers and business people primarily speaking Spanish rather than forcing the (mostly) Spanish-speaking audience to assimilate and listen in English. I particularly enjoyed watching the teeth-brushing and flossing demonstration in Spanish.

Next up was Lourdes Leon, who I believe owns the taqueria on Dixie Highway. There were no translation services during her speech, so I had to rely on my limited Spanish knowledge to process her message. Even with 5 years of Spanish education and 2 semesters of college Spanish, I only caught about 40% of her message. Yikes--time to brush up on my Spanish! Later this fall, Taylor is going to be taking a Spanish class for health care providers; maybe I could take a similar class for social services providers. I'll have to check with CNCS about that.

Finally, around 8:00 P.M. the attendees were dismissed to check out the booths in the gym and the breakout rooms. I hurried back to the art room, set up my laptop, and patiently waited for my first family to come in. But no one came. Not even the translator who had been assigned to my room showed up. Around 8:30, the event organizer came in, apologized profusely for my empty room, and told me I could go home. I packed up my stuff and made sure to leave a few brochures and a stack of fliers, which I hope will make their way into the families' hands.

Tonight provided a great lesson in language, as well as some time management, differences across cultures. I am disappointed that I spent so much time this evening and to no [obvious] avail. But more importantly, I hope that the families who need the OBB eventually gain access to it. Better luck next time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, man, that is a shame! But at least you built up some comp time and got to see some new perspectives.

    P.S. You are gonna have to reenact that teeth-brushing and flossing demonstration in Spanish for me. I'm so sad I missed that.

    ReplyDelete