Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kaitlyn Baker's Day Off

Thanks to Shared Harvest's comp time policy, I got an extra 2 hours of sleep this morning! That's right--I took the day off. I have accrued about 20+ extra hours of work over the past few weeks, so I took 8 of them for a little R&R today. It felt strange to be home watching all 3 hours of the Today show this morning, and I had to fight the temptation to work on a few things from the office.

Taylor woke up a little later in the morning (Wednesdays are his regular day off) and we drove to Warren County to meet his parents for lunch. Taylor's dad recommended a restaurant called The Wildflower Cafe and Coffeehouse in Mason, whose mission is to serve locally grown, organic food. Here's what it looks like on the outside:

Our table had the Chicken Club, two orders of The World's Best Burger, and the Fried Green Tomato BLT, as well as the flourless chocolate cake and a hefty slice of carrot cake to share. The food was delicious, and the restaurant's mission statement prompted a great discussion about buying locally and eating organically.

Grow Food Grow Hope VISTAs--I hope you get a chance to make the trip down I-71 to visit this restaurant. I don't know what's on your VISTA Assignment Descriptions, but maybe you could help some interested entrepreneurs with a similar endeavor in Wilmington? Just a thought.

To learn more about this quaint restaurant, go to: http://wildflowercafeandcoffeehouse.com and plan a visit to Mason! Call ahead--the restaurant is tiny and they prefer to take reservations. If you live in Southwest Ohio, it's definitely worth the trip.

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I hope you enjoyed your day off! I know it was well deserved! Very cool to learn about local restaurants in other areas of Ohio - I'm going to need a roadtrip to the SouthWest soon I think! ;)

    ReplyDelete