Tuesday, September 8, 2009

High-Mileage Maintenance

Today I learned an important lesson in routine maintenance.

With all of the miles I've traveled for VISTA activities, it was time for my car to get an oil change. I took the car in today after work, and as I waited for my car to be serviced, one of the mechanics asked me to select which oil change I wanted. I was surprised to find so many options for this seemingly simple task.

"High mileage oil?" I said. I didn't know what it was, but Taylor had prepped me for this question, and this was the answer we had rehearsed. I later discovered that it is a special oil treatment to help cars with over 75,000 miles run more efficiently. The treatment cost a little more than the regular oil change, but because my car has over 120,000 miles, I was willing to pay the extra amount for a little more preventative care.

So what did I learn from this experience?

It's important for all of us to invest in some regular maintenance of our own. We VISTAs have some pretty "high-mileage" positions ourselves. I don't know about you, but I've been on-the-go for quite a few weeks now, which has affected my regular daily routine. For instance, waking up at 6:30 a.m. has been a major shock to my system, but not as big of an adjustment as getting to bed before 11 p.m. every night. Then with little energy left at the end of a long day, it is easy to crash in front of the TV or computer and snack, which has resulted in a little weight gain since beginning my year of service a few months ago. I wasn't running marathons before beginning my stint as an AmeriCorps*VISTA, but I certainly wasn't this sluggish either. I've let the demands of this position get the better of me, so it's time for a tune-up!

This week, Taylor and I started a new health regimen. We're getting active in the evenings by taking walks together and improving our flexibility and muscle tone through Pilates and weight training. We're also encouraging each other to monitor our snacking. Even with a fridge stocked with healthy food, we've still got to watch our portion size and calorie intake!

I'm recognizing the importance of self-care now before it's too late. It makes total sense to invest a little extra effort to maintain our vehicles, why not ourselves?

So to all the VISTAs, social services professionals, and anyone else out there reading this post tonight--please take care of yourselves! Stay active, eat right, and get enough rest because you deserve the best.

Ugh, no one deserves cheesy rhymes, though. My apologies.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kaitlyn, thank you for being my personal conscience! I have been mentally hounding myself to stop slacking on this end. As you and I, along with Alex and Shelby, were discussing on Wednesday, burnout can certainly sneak up on us quickly. Thanks for the reminder, and I hope that I can honestly say to you a month from now that I stepped up to the plate with this as well. I should hit up the local garage sales for some exercise equipment before winter hits! :)

    ReplyDelete