Saturday, September 19, 2009

Windfalls

Two weeks ago I was surprised to discover an extra $11 in my bi-weekly payment from the Corporation for National and Community Service. I thought surely there had to have been some kind of mistake, and I expected the superfluous amount to be deducted from my bank account once they discovered their error. But that never happened. A few days later, I learned that because the cost of living had increased, my AmeriCorps*VISTA living allowance increased from $835 to $857/month. Score!

_____________________________________________

Last week we received a letter in the mail from Butler County Job and Family Services. When I saw the plain, white envelope in the mailbox, my stomach started doing flips. I envisioned a slew of nasty-grams that this envelope could possibly contain, including but not limited to:

"We don't believe the AmeriCorps*VISTA program exists. Your full income will now be counted in determining your household's eligibility."
"Food stamps can no longer be used to buy fresh produce. You may only use food stamps to buy pet food, soda, and candy."
"All people receiving food stamps will need to come for weekly appointments beginning yesterday."
"Effective immediately, all people who blog about us are ineligible for benefits. That means you, Kaitlyn Baker."

Can you tell I have a little anxiety surrounding communication from the Butler County Department of Job and Family Services? Based on my previous interactions with them, it's to be expected, I suppose. So you can imagine my surprise when I opened the letter and read the following:

"We have made decisions about your cash, food, or medical benefits. You can appeal if you disagree with any of our decisions. This notice explains our decisions and how you can appeal. You can reapply at any time if we denied or stopped your benefits.

Gulp. Keep reading.

"If you need translation or other help to read this notice or to communicate with us, contact your caseworker. You will find your caseworker's name and phone number below the Mailing Date above.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, get to the point...

"We will RAISE your FOOD ASSISTANCE from $260 to $263 each month starting 10/01/09."

Cha-ching!! Hey, every little bit helps.

2 comments:

  1. Today has been a long long Monday....and I was able to just bust up laughing and immediately release some built up stress because of reading this line:

    "Effective immediately, all people who blog about us are ineligible for benefits. That means you, Kaitlyn Baker."

    Keep your blogs coming, and I'm so glad about the boost to your monthly income through your stipend increase and food stamp increase! That's awesome!

    Thanks again for a great read and good laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just read your last few posts-- you amaze me with your regularity. Anyway, in reference to your "off day"-- it's nice to know it happens to other people, too. I hear you on that, 100%. I hope you have had a great day to make up for it. And that is so exciting about your increases! :) p.s. See my comment on your last post as well

    ReplyDelete