Monday, August 3, 2009

A field trip to JFS

It's about 9:30 and I'm just getting into the office this morning. Why? Because I had to re-up on our food stamps. Even though Taylor and I are both working, we had to reapply for benefits after 3 months instead of the traditional 6, because at the time we applied we were an "unstable household."

Before I go too much further, I want to make one thing very clear--I do not necessarily mind recertifying for our benefits. Yes, it's a hassle, but it gives me an opportunity to sit down with a caseworker and go through every element of our household. From our income, to our expenses, every last penny is accounted for, and it gives me a chance to clarify any discrepancies not easily solved over the phone. (Can we say VISTA income exclusion confusion?)

However.

I have never found, in my experience, a trip to Jobs and Family Services that is enjoyable, no matter what its purpose. The biggest hassle for most people is not navigating the city streets or parking garage, or lugging strollers full of whiny 1 year olds on and off the elevator, but finding the time off work to keep the appointment. These recertification appointment times are assigned to clients with no input from them regarding their schedules, which puts clients in a very awkward place. Allow me to elaborate.

To keep your benefits, you have to go through recertification every so often to make sure you are still eligible to receive your $3/day/person. To keep your benefits, you also have to keep a job (remember food stamps are work supports not welfare). But to keep your job, you have to show up and work, usually every day, all day. Now, when do you think most appointments are made for clients? That's right--during day time business hours. So let me get this straight--if I am employed and my recert appointment falls within business hours, my choices are to a) not show up to work but keep my appointment (and have my benefits renewed on time), b) miss the appointment but show up to work (and risk losing benefits in the mean time) or c) try to work with the employer to miss an hour or two for my food stamp recertification. In a typical low-income job, working with the employer is often not an option. Their mindset tends to be that if you're not willing to work for whatever reason, we will find someone in the vast sea of unemployed people who will. Yikes, JFS. I seem to be missing the "support" part of "work support program."

My appointment was for 8:00a, obviously within regular working hours. Well, actually my original appointment was scheduled for 2:00p on August 21st, which caused an impossible, non-negotiable time conflict due to a previously scheduled OBB outreach event during that time. When I called to report this issue to JFS, the only times I was allowed to reschedule were 8a or 8:15a, any day of the week, M-F. Of course, that will always be within business hours for me, but fortunately, Shared Harvest has a policy that states any employee who must report to JFS does not have to use personal or comp time to do so. Perfect. Thanks, Tina!

I arrived at least 15 minutes early just in case they were running ahead of schedule, and found a seat in the crowded waiting room. I pulled out a book, Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich, to pass the time. I didn't end up getting called back until about 8:20, which wasn't too bad, considering how understaffed and overworked JFS caseworkers are. This time my caseworker introduced herself and even made eye contact with me, though there was no handshake. Maybe next time.

As we walked through the maze of desks, she clarified that I was there to recertify my food stamps. I confirmed this was true, but requested to be placed on the 6 month recert schedule instead of the 3 month, considering both members of my household were gainfully employed.

"You're both employed now?" she asked.
"Yes, we weren't at the time that we applied for benefits, but we're both working now, so we would like to go on the traditional recert schedule, please," I said.
"Oh, you so you're both working."
"Yes."
"Okay, so you probably are ineligible now," she said as we reached her desk.
"Um, no, we're still eligible," I said, digging out my paperwork. Ha! Not so fast, lady.

I handed over the mound of paperwork I brought: lease agreement, canceled rent check proving we still live there, electric bill, phone bill, water bill, pay stubs from that last 30 days for both of Taylor's jobs and mine, as well as my letter of income exclusion, and a letter to verify my previous employment at Miami had ended (over 2 months ago). I had it all. And I didn't want any document to fall through the cracks, so I patiently explained each one and waited for her to put in the information. Those of you who know me well would be proud of my performance today. At all times, I spoke softly and kept a small smile on my face--of course, I felt like giving her a piece of my mind on why this is a dehumanizing, invasive system that doesn't really provide an adequate work support for clients, but I kept my mouth shut. After all, she didn't make the rules for food stamp eligibility, and it isn't her fault that their office is overworked and understaffed. But that's for another day.

As she typed, she asked if either of us were in school, and I reported that yes, Taylor was taking classes at Butler Tech to become an EMT-B. I proudly told her that his program was ending in two weeks and soon he would start nursing classes at Cincinnati State. As if she really cared about our attempts to better ourselves. There were no "how nice!" or "oh great, you know nursing is in demand right now" type of statements.
Instead she said, "If he's going to school full time, he is no longer eligible for food stamps."
"Even if he's working over 20 hours a week?" I asked, slightly incredulous.
"No--if he goes full time he's ineligible. His program at Butler Tech isn't considered full time, so he's okay now, but just so you know, he won't be eligible when he starts new classes. And you'll have to report that to us when he does," she said.
"Oh, okay. We'll do that," I said.

[Note: If Jason or Dustin or Lisa or anybody else from OASHF is reading this, what are the rules with full-time school and benefits eligibility? HELP!]

She finished putting our information in the computer, then went to make copies of my documents and to retrieve my renewed contract sheet from the printer. When she returned, she told me we would receive $254/month (which is about the amount the person in Quality Control told me a couple of weeks ago), and I signed the contract. I have no idea what it really said--reading it over didn't seem to be encouraged. Next, I asked to withdraw our appeal that we had filed over a month ago, because our income discrepancies had been resolved. She perked up with this request and cheerfully brought me the form to cancel my state hearing.

Finally, I asked her when our food stamps are supposed to be deposited on our EBT card. If we had to guess, Taylor and I would have thought it was the 1st of the month, but sure enough, on August 1st we went shopping and our amount wasn't higher than what it began. So we have no clue. She said she had no way of knowing that information, but I could call the help line located on the back of my EBT card to find out. Then she stood up--apparently the appointment was over, and I scrambled to shove my papers back in their manila home.

As she ecorted me out, she said, "Okay, so I'll fax your appeal withdrawal. And remember what I said about full-time classes."
"Thank you very much," I said. "I think Taylor was considering the 3-year part time program, but I'll keep it in mind."
"Really? I would rather do it in two years, full time," she said. "Takes less time."
"Yeah," I said with a slightly more edgy-sounding laugh, "but he wants to work too, so part-time it is."
And with that I was in the hallway and the door was shutting.

When I reached the parking garage, I rummaged through my bag for our EBT card. I called the 800 number and went through the options, press 1 for this, 3 for that, 4 for more options. Finally, I got to an option to find out our benefits distribution schedule. And this is what I heard:
"This information is available at your local Jobs and Family Services office. Call your caseworker to learn more about when your benefits are available to you."

So much for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment