Monday, August 17, 2009

Welcome, Alex!


The wait is finally over--Alex has come to Shared Harvest! Meet Alex Moning, another AmeriCorps*VISTA member and (soon-to-be) OBB community trainer with the Shared Harvest Foodbank. She was officially hired about a month ago, but after a series of unfortunate events involving a delay in paperwork and training schedules through various offices, today was her first day.

I started in this position just about 2 months ago, and I remember how excited/anxious/confused I was on my first day of service. As with any new position, there seemed like a ton of stuff to learn and remember, and I wasn't sure I would be able to keep it all straight. To say I was overwhelmed was an understatement. With this in mind, after her orientation with Meredith, I showed Alex everything I could to try and make some of the details of our system a little less foggy. It takes some time to get used to, but I can already tell she is getting the hang of it. (She's a note taker, like the rest of us in the office! I think that's a good sign.)

After lunch, Alex and I worked on the last of 7 maps of potential and current OBB sites--and it was nice to have an extra set of hands to help pinpoint each location on the map. Slowly but surely, that stage of our OBB site development project is coming to a close! I have a feeling that was the first of many occasions in which we'll help each other out, even if just by offering a small suggestion to build upon an idea, or providing moral support. I bet we'll work well together over the coming year.

Between her Pre-Service Orientation and Community Trainer Orientation, Alex will be in and out of the office over the next two weeks, so the other half of the table will be empty for a majority of the duration of August. Still, it is nice to know that our little team at Shared Harvest is finally complete!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the warm welcome, Kaitlyn! The transition into the office has been much easier than I thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlyn, that picture of us turned out really cute! I like how I made it on your "Today I saw" gadget. Thank you again SO MUCH for looking me up. I believe that this OBB VISTA connection will prove to be a source of support and renewal, both professionally and personally, for a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete