Friday, August 21, 2009

Minority Business Urban Outreach

This day has been a little confusing. I hope this post is not. :)

I arrived at Shared Harvest at 7:30, as usual, and started prepping for a trip to Dayton for the Ohio Department of Development's Minority Business Urban Outreach sessions today. About a month ago, I learned that I would be manning a table to promote the Ohio Benefit Bank. Usually the Ohio Benefit Bank Mobile Express attends these types of community events, but it would not be available this time, so Meredith and I were to attend in its place. And that's about all I knew as of 7:30 this morning.

Around 8:00, Meredith called to say I'd be on my own today, but advised me on what marketing materials to take and instructed me to keep a tally of the people who stop by for information, or who complete a Quick Check to see eligibility for the different programs. I printed out directions, shoved some flyers and brochures in my laptop bag, and set out for Dayton about 45 minutes later.

I arrived at the Canaan Community Center on Salem Avenue around 10am, with the event set to start about an hour later. I abruptly met the facility manager at the door, who directed me into a room with a small collection of chairs and some tables draped in white plastic table cloths. She seemed very confused about who I was or who I was representing--I repeated my name and organization several times but the look on her face never changed from "huh?" She mumbled something about not knowing I was coming, and that I must be one of the speakers. At that point, my face mirrored hers: confused, plus a "deer in the headlights look," and a perma-smile. Say what?!?

I set up my table, laid out my brochures, flyers, and cards, and cued my laptop screen to the OBB website. I watched as representatives from the Attorney General's office and the Social Security Administration draped personalized tablecloths over their designated tables, and laid out what seemed like a hundred different brochures and papers. Next time I'll at least bring a big sign or something, I thought.

I tried asking the other table people what was going on and what to expect today, but no one seemed to know. I did, however, get a little tour of the community center. So if nothing else, I had learned about the building and its services. :) A short while later, a group of suit-clad people from the statehouse and governor's office came in, including Shannon Teague, the director of the OBB. Finally, a familiar face! I said hi to Shannon, and casually asked her for a run-down of the day. Turns out, all I was to do was sit at my table while the attendees sat in on sessions located in a big presentation in the auditorium across the hall. Throughout the day, the business people would wander in and pick up information from us tablers either on behalf of their businesses or themselves personally. So no presentations for me--whew! Shannon told me they've done quite a few of these around the state, and all have been pretty laid back. This one seemed no different. I only had 8 people cruise by my table; of those, 1 was a state senator just saying hi, and 3 people were looking for directions to another table. However, I did get to use the site locator with one woman who was looking for information for her mother, so that was good. Overall, I view any opportunity to put information out about the Benefit Bank as positive.

As casual as today was, it also provided opportunities to meet the other people behind tables and to tell them more about AmeriCorps*VISTA as well. I even connected with a woman who not only was from my hometown but went to high school with my parents! Small world.

At the end of the day, I was still a little confused about my role at the business outreach event, but that's okay. Part of being a VISTA is being flexible and adaptable. We learn how to go with the flow, which is a great ability to have when working in non-profits, or any field, for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment